Monday, August 17, 2015

Japanese Science Fiction TV Series Opening Sequences


A friend of mine recently posted on Facebook a trailer for a live action Ultraman movie coming to theaters in Japan. It was the classic Japanese hero with his classic TV theme music yet appearing in brand new state of the arts special effects.

Seeing this trailer inspired me to track down several opening themes to some Japanese science fiction shows of the past. Although I could have gone with the English versions, I thought it would be more fun to use the original Japanese versions (in most instances). Enjoy!

Ultraman



Mazinger Z



Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot



Spectreman



Gatchaman



Space Battleship Yamato

4 comments:

Todd Mason said...

I didn't get to see any of these when I was the target audience...though the Japanese cartoon series KIMBA THE WHITE LION and SPEED RACER were staples of my 6yo tv viewing...how many did you enjoy back when?

Phillyradiogeek said...

I adored Ultraman in the late 70s, and Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) even more. I bought the complete Ultraman 60s series on DVD a good ten years ago; I just finally opened it up and watched the first episode the night I wrote this post. About an year and a half ago, I bought the first six episodes of Star Blazers on used VHS. I wish I had the entire series, but it's hard to find and very expensive.

I didn't see Mazinger Z until the mid 80s when it aired here in the States as Tranzor Z, yet I had the action figure in the 70s and was never without it for awhile. I'm sure I watched Johnny Sokko and but recall it much. Spectreman was also enjoyable. I know Gatchaman as Hanna-Barbera's version Battle of the Planets, with Mr. Ed's Alan Young as American-added robot 7-Zarc-7. I have a more updated American version, G-Force, in my DVD collection.

Kelly Robinson said...

GIGANTOR is one of the ones I remember most distinctly. I can still sing all the words!

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thanks Kelly! I missed out on Gigante somehow. I need to add that to the watchlist!