Wednesday, December 8, 2010

John Lennon 1940-1980


I'm taking a break from the Christmas folly to commemorate a very sad anniversary, and of course I won't be the only one doing so.  I won't bother detailing John Lennon's impact on the world, as there are plenty of other testimonials out there that will do that much better than me.  What I will say is this:  it's not so much the fact that John is no longer with us, but the way he left us.

It shouldn't have happened.

If he had passed due to an illness, that's one thing.  Even if it came about by an unfortunate accident, that's another.

He was murdered.  A man you preached peace and love was taken by one of the very instruments he spoke out against.

It shouldn't have happend.

He should be with us now.  He should be making music now.  He should be engaging with fans young and old now.  But he can't do that because of one disturbed person.  That, ulitmately, is what makes his loss so sorrowful, so tragic, so stupid.

The only way to make peace with his death is to act on his belief in the sanctity of humanity, the need for love, for peace, for being in harmony with one another.  Far easier said than done, believe me, I know.  But damn, we better try.  Every single day.

Peace.

No comments: