Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tuesday's Forgotten Film: La Mujer Murcielago ("The Batwoman")



I was reminded of this week's Forgotten Film courtesy of the amazing site Network Awesome. The site provides YouTube clips of various esoteric offerings, from old public access cable TV series to punk bands to cult classic TV and films. Think of it as this blog but with much more of a punk sensibility (and a much more professional look). Go take a look--you could spend hours upon hours there.

Back here, I offer a true goofy delight. Mexican films of the 1960s have a reputation for their quirkiness--sometimes delightfully fun, sometimes stomach-churningly bad. Hopefully this film falls into the former category. I say "hopefully" because I have yet to actually watch it, but I assure you, it's on my short list of things to see as soon as possible.

As I'm sure you know, I'm a huge fan of the Batman 60s TV series, as were many at the time. When something is as much of a success as that, couuntless folks do their best to cash in on the phenomenon. This film does just that, but with a twist--bending gender to create Batwoman, an athletic and yes, beautiful, cowl-wearing crimefighter.



This is pure 60s cheese. It features luchador wrestling, seas creatures, and of course, the voluptuous Batwoman herself. I could summarize the plot more, but let's face it, it doesn't really matter. Just sit back and enjoy the craziness--the entire film appears below (with subtitles!). I have high hopes for this one--don't disappoint, Batwoman!

For more forgotten/overlooked goodness, check out Todd Mason's Sweet Freedom blog!

5 comments:

Todd Mason said...

At worst, can it be worse than the 1940s serial...or THE WILD WORLD OF BATWOMAN...or BATMAN AND ROBIN?

Phillyradiogeek said...

The first 1940s BATMAN is pretty bad (I know, I have it on VHS). The second one looks a little better, but I've never seen all of it, despite featuring it here on the blog.

Hadn't heard of WILD WORLD until you mentioned it. I see it was a MST3K selection. That says all I need to know right there.

I can't say anything about BATMAN AND ROBIN that hasn't already been said many times before--except that, with a better vision and direction, the actors could have pulled off a better film.

Todd Mason said...

Oh, the cast of B&R (except for the villains) was fine (and the villains have certainly done better work).

WILD WOMAN pretty impressively threadbare. The secretary who was pressed into playing the Batwoman did as well as anyone could under the circumstances.

Todd Mason said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUyZB_xbG2c

Phillyradiogeek said...

Awesome find, thanks Todd!