Monday, July 14, 2008

Batman, "The Joker's Last Laugh"


I'm back! Sorry for the weeklong delay, but as announced previously, I took a weeklong vacation (five days, anyway), but I'm happy to be back home and back blogging, or for a while, Bat-blogging!

Yes, if you've been following the blog this spring/summer, I've been celebrating the launch of several comic book-inspired movies by posting related hero material. This will likely be my last attempt this year with the release of Warners Brothers' The Dark Knight. I hope the film is a good one (I haven't yet finished Batman Begins, but I haven't been impressed so far), but when I think of a live adaptation of the Caped Crusader, there is one that stands far above the rest--the original Batman TV show!

Very much has been written/spoken about this show, so I won't get into it too much. All I'll say is: it's awesome, it's smart, it's funny, it's well-produced, and it's also one thing that far too many comic book adaptations are not--it's FUN!

Case in point, this episode, entitled "The Joker's Last Laugh." The Harlequin of Hate starts a counterfeiting ring, and it's up to the Dynamic Duo to stop him. Will they succeed? Or will the Joker get the la--well, you know.

When I came across this clip, everything this show made me feel, feelings long dormant, came back. From the intentional overacting of Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara, to the Joker's manic laugh, to Bruce Wayne's cry of "To the Batpoles!", it reminded me of everything I loved, and I mean LOVED, about the show. God, it's been too long.

YOU HEAR ME, WARNER BROS. AND FOX? GET YOUR ACTS TOGETHER AND RELEASE THE SERIES ON DVD!! WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?? DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND GET THIS SHOW BACK TO THE PEOPLE, FOR CHRISSAKES!!

Rant over.

I am delighted to present...Batman!





Batman and Robin in peril! Will they survive? Tune into the blog later this week. Same Bat time, same Bat channel!

2 comments:

Todd Mason said...

YouTube has yanked these piracies, Brian.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thanks for the heads-up, Todd! I've replaced them with new embeds. I know I have several missing videos and broken links, and I count on readers to help me find them. Thanks again!