Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Batman Potpourri

I want to thank Rich over at Comic By Comic for giving me a mention on his site today! It's right here: http://www.comicbycomic.com/2008/07/neat-stuff.html. I'm neat stuff! Please stop on by there and his other cool sites. Thanks Rich! If you're a first time visitor from Rich's site, welcome! I hope you hang around. While this is not a fulltime comics blog, I am a comic fan and do post often about them.

Rich rightfully mentions that I'm on a Batman kick, but today is likely my last Bat post for this run, with the exception of the Saturday Matinee presentation of the Batman movie serial. I'll wrap up the theme with some odds and ends now.

One piece of news to come out of the San Diego ComiCon is the announcement of a new Batman cartoon to appear on the Cartoon Network starting in April 2009, "Batman: The Brave and the Bold." This is an animated take on a classic comic book in which Bats would team up with another DC Hero (or sometimes villian) to right various wrongs. In contrast to the many Batman animated series of the past 15 years, this new series will have a lighter tone. It looks cool! Here's the trailer:



The first animated adventures of Batman appeared on TV in 1968 and animated by the infamous Filmation Studios, remembered for their prolific output at the expense of quality in many cases. In this sample, the Joker, Penguin, and Riddler attempt to turn the Batman family against each other. God, I hate the Riddler's voice in these cartoons!



The same studio tried again just nine years later to bring the Dynamic Duo to Saturday morning TV, this time with Adam West and Burt Ward reprising their legendary roles, if only in voice. Clips are really hard to find on the 'Net, but here is a featurette from the DVD release of the series examining the legendary heroes.





And that will close out my Bat-blogging. I hope you've enjoyed my offerings, and please continue to check out the Saturday Matinee for more Bat goodness. Tune in Friday!

No comments: