Friday, July 18, 2008

Saturday Matinee: Batman, 1949 Serial, Part 1

Welcome! This is an exciting day here at Me and You. For today, I officially unveil a new feature--The Saturday Matinee!

Beginning this week, I plan on featuring a chapter from a classic (well, at least old) movie serial from the Golden Age of Cinema, when for the price of one admission, you got to see cartoons, newsreels, trailers (of course, they never left), double features, and other cool things that the moviegoing experience just doesn't have anymore.

And what better opportunity to begin this feature than on the heels of this year's most anticipated film--The Dark Knight. As a companion to the new film, I present chapter one of the 1949 serial Batman. This is actually the second Batman serial that Columbia Pictures produced. The first was in 1943. I have it on VHS, and it's not very good. I've never seen this 1949 serial from start to finish, so I look forward to it, as I hope you do too.

The best part about the Matinee is that, even after I'm done posting Batman material, I still plan on featuring other exciting serials, along with retro clips to add to the oldtime theater experience.

With that said, let's begin!







Wasn't that exciting kids? Be back next week for the next chapter! Of course, I'll have one or two other things before then as well.

For now, let's all go to the lobby!

2 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

This was great! I woder who animated those lobby advertisements?

Phillyradiogeek said...

I think there are some Internet sources that identify the makers of these animations. I may put that info out in a future Matinee post.

Notice the new blog list? Yours is on the list!