Monday, May 27, 2013

Tuesday's Overlooked TV: Classic MTV


I'm currently reading the new book VJ: The Unplugged Adventures of MTV's First Wave, written by and about the original staff of MTV VJs: Mark Goodman, Nina Blackwood, Martha Quinn, Alan Hunter, and the late J.J. Jackson. It's a breezy, fascinating read, documenting the early years of MTV from its inception in 1981 to 1987, when this team of VJs moved on from the network. I find it so interesting because their tenure on the network is how most people remember it, before the reality programming took over the channel. I didn't have cable in my house until the fall of 1987, after the original lineup was gone, so I'm unfamiliar with the channel's incarnation, even though it's considered MTV's golden age.

Here, I present a mild recreation of what MTV was like in those days. Here are clips of every one of the VJs, plus a few full length videos and even some promos and commercials. If you were around during the network's glory days, I hope this post leaves you demanding "I Want My MTV!"


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Classic MTV changed my life. That and early Nickelodeon. Amazing stuff.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thanks for the comment Jay! Glad you enjoyed this. I highly recommend reading the book (I got it from my public library). Very entertaining read.