Friday, October 2, 2026

Curse of the Black Widow, ABC TV, September 16, 1977

 



Hello again, and welcome back for the first full-fledged post of my 2026 Countdown to Halloween. As it's a Friday, I usually present a long-form program to watch, and to kick off the first October weekend, I present the 1977 made-for-TV horror film Curse Of The Black Widow!

As the movie opens, Los Angeles has been perplexed by a series of bizarre murders in which men are drained of their bodily fluids (yuck) through large wounds in their chests and in place is found spider venom. A police detective teams up with a private investigator to find out what's going on, which leads them to three unusual women, two of which are twins. Weird stuff ensues.

Made-for-TV horror movies are a mixed bag in quality, but I love coming across them because I'm always surprised they were even attempted due to the restrictions on what can be shown on broadcast TV back then--but they were attempted more often than I first realized! Several have even become horror classics (Trilogy of Terror, Dark Night of the Scarecrow, and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, for starters). Is this one a classic? I'll let you decide for yourself.

I will say this--look at that cast! Donna Mills, Patty Duke, Vic Morrow, June Lockhart, June Allyson, Max Gail (Wojo from Barney Miller!), Roz Kelly (Pinky Tuscadero!)--Sid Freakin' Caesar! A cavalcade of stars!

And do you SEE that TV Guide ad above? Look at it! LOOK AT IT!

Here it is, in all its webbed glory. Enjoy! And thanks for being a part of the Countdown to Halloween! Let me know what you think of my posts in the comments!



No comments: