Monday, February 13, 2012

Tuesday's Forgotten Film, Valentine's Day Edition: Only You (1994)


"Love is in the air, it's everywhere I look around..." Hello lovers! Yes, it's Valentine's Day, a day to express your undying devotion to your significant other. I wish a Happy Valentine's Day to my bride of 12 years (I love you!) as well as to you and yours. To mark the occasion, I present a special edition of Tuesday's Forgotten featuring the romantic comedy Only You.

This movie stars Marisa Tomei as a Catholic grade school teacher who has spent her life as a dreamy-eyed believer that everyone is destined to meet their true love. A flashback to her childhood shows that a carnival fortune teller claims she will one day meet her intended love named Damon Bradley. Back in the present, a tip leads her to Italy to find the mysterious Mr. Bradley, with her older sister (played by the excellent Bonnie Hunt), a woman who thinks her husband is cheating on her, in tow.

There Tomei meets a man, played by Robert Downey Jr., who claims to be Damon Bradley at first, then quickly admits the truth, rightfully ticking off Tomei. Downey stands his ground, stating that perhaps fate has brought the two of them together instead. Does destiny bring Tomei in union with her dream man, and if so, is his name Damon Bradley?

You can find out through the usual retail and online outlets, as the film is readily available on DVD. Here is the film's trailer. Thanks, and once again, Happy Valentine's Day! For more overlooked audio and video, please visit my friend Todd Mason's blog Sweet Freedom here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Todd Mason said...

Sorry you seem to be getting targeted by spammers of late...this is yet another of those films I've caught just a part of, and have meant to see the entirety. Oddly, Tomei has made quite a rep for herself over the years for self-important divaesque behavior toward other actors (at least), to the degree 1) that I've heard about it and 2) that it might've hurt her career, which is both a pity and a lesson to be taken.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Todd: yes, I've gotten quite a bit of notice regarding discount handbags, dresses, and other things if utmost importance to me. Lucky me.

As for Tomei, I'm surprised to hear that about her--she didn't seem the type to me. She had a minor role in Crazy Stupid Love starring Steve Carrell earlier this year, which is the first I've seen her in a long time. That might explain her apparent absence of the past few years.