Thursday, January 30, 2014

January's Underappreciated Music: The Monkees Featuring Neil Young, "You and I"


Great minds think alike. Recently, my good friends Todd Mason and Peter Carley both separately sent a link to me from the Web site Dangerous Minds describing the little known times that Neil Young contributed to recordings of the Monkees (an article you can read here). The full song that the article uses as an example of this pairing was the song "You and I," written by Davy Jones and Bill Chadwick, with vocals by Jones, from the band's album Instant Replay (the first album released after Peter Tork departed from the band).

The song is a more mature and harder-sounding song that is usual for Jones, which is to the singer's benefit. The teen idol trappings of the majority of his earlier songs with the band are absent here, and the song really lets Jones' vocal talent shine, as well as his growing sophistication as a songwriter. Young basically does his thing on guitar, and the pairing of him with the band is a fine one (and this is coming from someone who is not a particular fan of Young).

Here is the song in all its glory. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Todd Mason said...

I wonder who was the bassist?

Phillyradiogeek said...

I believe Tork was teaching Davy a bit of bass before Tork left the group, so I wonder if Jones himself is doing the honors?