Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tuesday's Not-So-Overlooked Film: Iron Man 3


I've been wracking my brain for a topic for this week's Tuesday's Overlooked, so since I just finished seeing it on DVD last night, this week I discuss one of last year's box office hits, Iron Man 3. Not exactly overlooked, of course, but I can say I enjoyed it quite a bit.

After the events of 2012's Avengers film, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) begins having panic attacks whenever someone mentions the alien invasion of the previous film. His fragile mental state leaves him in a bad position to be menaced by an elusive international terrorist known as the Mandarin (Ben Kingsley), with help from a fellow wealthy industrialist with a grudge against Stark (Guy Pierce). His spirit (and tech) broken and love Pepper Potts (Gwenyth Paltrow) in serious trouble, Tony must scrape together his last bits of sanity and technology to fight the double threat.

I've loved all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films with the exception of Iron Man 2; this film makes up for that misstep. The characters are as engaging as ever, the dialogue witty, and the plot twists intriguing (if somewhat controversial among Iron Man purists). The length of the film could have been a bit shorter, but all in all, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie. Marvel has done a great job overall in their self-produced live action (I'm also a fan of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D TV series), and I'm as eager as ever to see future entries in this universe.

Thanks!

2 comments:

Todd Mason said...

I would have to say I find the AGENTS series disappointing, but watchable...a lot of people will say worse, but there is a certain spirit about it, albeit not as much ingenuity as I'd like. (It was notable that in the episodes of AGENTS and THE BLACKLIST I watched on demand back to back some weeks back, that both series respectively chose to have supposedly sophisticated characters assume that dropping a plague-level fatally infected agent and a detonating nuclear device into the ocean would be just be hunky-dory...I mean, the water's so deep and all. Surely no bacteria can grow in it, radiation can be no problem, right?)

Phillyradiogeek said...

Todd, do you know how BIG the ocean is? It's like--really BIG! You can, like, keep scary stuff in there and it's all good! Know your science, Todd!

SHIELD also has a site called the Slingshot, where they send Bad Stuff into space. No harm, no foul.

I love comic books.