Friday, November 20, 2009

Q*Bert, "Thanksgiving for the Memories"

Way back in my beloved decade known as the 80s, there was a tendency by TV networks to give any pop culture phenomenon possible an animated series, no matter how weird. Video games were no exception. This led to such things as cartoon versions of Pac-Man, Pole Position, and others.

This is related to Thanskgiving, so stay with me for a second.

One of these programs was Saturday Supercade, an hourlong multi-story show featuring Donkey Kong, his son Junior, Frogger, and Pitfall. As bad an idea as this seems, I watched every week. My favorite segment was Q*Bert. For those youngsters out there who aren't familiar with him, here is what the game looked like:



How to turn this character into a cartoon star? Make him a high school student dressed in late 50s garb along with his friends and enemies, of course! For whatever reason, I enjoyed this cartoon quite a bit. One episode that vaguely stayed in my memory all these years is the Thanksgiving episode.

Told ya I'd bring it back to Thanksgiving!

In this presentation by the Minisode Network, Q*Bert and his pals learn about the first Thanksgiving. Enjoy!

No comments: