Monday, September 26, 2011

The New DC Comics: Quick Reviews

Hey everyone! Welcome to a new week, and when it's over, a new month.  That new month would be October.  And do you know what that means?

THE COUNTDOWN TO HALLOWEEN IS ALMOST HERE!!

That's right.  For my third straight year, I will be participating in the multiblog event in which we all post a Halloween item per day (or as close to it as we can get) up until All Hallow's 'eve.  It's a wonderful event that I hope you take part in, if not as a blogger, then at least as a reader.

But first things first...

I've been lax in my reviews of some of the new titles coming out of the "new" DC Comics, and I'd like to get to as many of them as I can between now and the Countdown.  These will be kept shorter than my previous reviews, so without further ado, here they are.


Justice League International #1: What a pleasant surprise this was! As decompressed as Justice League #1 was, this was fast-paced, action-packed, and set things up quickly but fluidly.  We were given the entire team lineup, their first assignment, immediate internal conflicts, and a adventurous cliffhanger in just the first issue.  There is nothing groundbreaking or overly dramatic here, but that's exactly why I loved it.  It was just good ol' fashioned superhero comics, which we need more of these days (not everything has to be The Dark Knight Returns).  As disappointed as I was starting to get in the new titles, this one came at just the right time.  My 2nd favorite title so far!


Swamp Thing #1: I've never read a Swamp Thing comic before, so I thought now was the perfect time to try one.  The art is very good, and the story, while a slow burn until the end, was interesting.  However, there wasn't anything here that hooked me and kept me on the edge of my seat.  This was certainly not a bad comic by any means, but I wasn't competely wowed by it either.  I may not stay with this one much longer.


Batwoman #1: OH HELLS YEAH!!  This was the one I was looking forward to the most, and it didn't disappoint.  This title, delayed for nearly a year after it was first announced, is fantastic from start to finish.  This may not have been the best jumping on point for those who haven't read the character before (as the story wasn't written with the line-wide relaunch in mind), but it gives you just enough of what you need to know.  The character is fascinating, the villain creepy, and the artwork?  Just Google "JH Williams Batwoman" and see for yourself.  Highest possible recommendation!!

Supergirl #1: I'm apprehensive about the reboot of Supergirl, as she was already in a great place creatively before the DC relaunch, thanks to writer Sterling Gates's great work on the character, turning her from an insecure, confused teen girl into a compassionate, confident young woman by the end of his run.  Unfortunately, they are starting from scratch again here, which is a shame.  However, this issue is a great starting point for those unfamiliar with Supergirl, as the issue chronicles her landing on earth and her confusion as to what's happened to her and where she is.  The artwork by Mahmud Asrar is very good, and the story, while not much happens, is intriguing.  I'm curious to see what happens next, which is all you can ask from a #1 issue.

I'll have more on the DC relaunch later this week.  Thanks!

No comments: