Friday, September 2, 2011

Muscular Dystrophy Association 2011 Labor Day Telethon


As I do every year, I am supporting the Muscular Dystrophy Association's 2011 Labor Day Telethon.  The organization has done amazing work to not only create a cure for neuromuscular diseases, but also to assist those afflicted with the diseases as well as educate the public on their causes and treatment.

This year will be a turning point for the Telethon, however.  The longstanding chairman of the organization, Jerry Lewis, has stepped down just a few weeks ago and will no longer appear on the telethon.  He was the one that attracted my attention to MDA as a child, as I always loved his goofy antics.  As I've become an adult, I've come to respect the work the organization has done, but it won't be the same without him.

Lewis's absence is not the only change this year.  Instead of a nearly 24-hour telethon starting Sunday night and running well into Labor Day itself, the telethon will only be 6 hours this Sunday night, from 6pm to midnight ET.  It will not appear at all on Labor Day.  That will really be strange for me.

As different as things will be this year, there is one thing that won't change:  the telethon will still entertain, inform, and most importantly, raise money and awareness to fight these terrible diseases, and I'm still happy to contribute.

To learn more about MDA, please click here.

Thanks, and have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend!



No comments: