Friday, October 18, 2019

The Headless Horseman Silent Movie Starring Will Rogers (1922)



Sleepy Hollow Week draws to a close with a longform program (as I do every Friday of the Countdown).

Today I offer what may be the first film adaptation of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, The Headless Horseman starring legendary humorist Will Rogers. Another unique aspect of this film is that it's a silent movie. The YouTube user who uploaded this version added music of his or her choosing to the film, and it works beautifully.

I know a lot of people have difficulty watching silent films since they're quite different from what we're used to, but I think this is interesting to watch for historical purposes if nothing else. I'll understand if you skip ahead here and there.

Enjoy! Have a spooky weekend! The big night is less than two weeks away!

No comments: