Monday, October 14, 2019

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Starring Jeff Goldblum (1980)



Welcome to Week 3 of the Countdown to Halloween, which also happens to be--Sleepy Hollow Week! Every day Monday through Friday, I will have an article related to the classic Washington Irving story in some fashion. 

Today, I present a TV-movie version of the story that aired on NBC in October of 1980. It stars Jeff Goldblum as Ichabod Crane, Dick Butkis as Bram Bones, and Meg Foster as Katrina van Tassel. The story is largely played for comedy in this version, but there are still spooky scenes here and there. This is also the earliest movie adaptation of the story I remember besides the classic Disney animated version.

Enjoy! Stay tuned for more Sleepy Hollow goodness all week!


3 comments:

Tom said...

This version veers greatly from the original work, but I still enjoy it and watch it every year. It seems this version has been getting more love lately, which is good. I mean, c'mon, it has Vice-principal Woodman in it.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thanks Tom! Purists may have a problem with this version, but I really enjoy it. One of my earliest Halloween TV memories!

Bob Johns said...

Some on left an interesting comment on my post about deleted scenes that I have yet to look into. I agree with Tom I still watch it every year or so it is such a treat. Here is my link if you want to check that comment out.

https://mda4life.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-legend-of-sleepy-hollow-1980-film.html

Now its time to fire up the VCR and watch this gem.