Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Tuesday's Overlooked TV: The Greatest American Hero, "The Beast in the Black"


I apologize for not posting anything yesterday, but I have a good excuse. My daughter celebrated her Confirmation yesterday (it's a Catholic thing), and I spent the earlier part of the day preparing and the latter celebrating. Time very well spent!

But I'm back today, and this week, Tuesday's Overlooked TV (delayed by one day) is a really creepy episode of The Greatest American Hero. The series involved a high school English teacher (William Katt) entrusted with a superhero suit which gave him special powers. He was aided in his adventures by his girlfriend (Connie Sellica) and a crusty FBI detective (Robert Culp).

In this episode, detective Bill Maxwell (Culp) is possessed by a female spirit that haunts a deserted house set for demolition. It's up to superhero Ralph (Katt) to save his buddy from the spirit. This episode is a bit off the beaten path in context of the rest of the series, and although I loved this show as a kid (and still do), this episode always gave me the heeby jeebies. I hope it does for you too.

3 comments:

Tom said...

I was a fan of GAH back in the day, but I have no memory of this. I will have to watch. And congratulations to your daughter.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thanks Tom! This episode actually scared me as a kid, and this was a show I never expected to scare me. Enjoy!

mbt said...

Scared me too! Totally not in the tone of the rest of the episodes of the show!