Wednesday, October 21, 2009

80s Horror Movie Trailers

I have to admit something. Despite my love of Halloween and doing all this Halloween blogging, I'm not a horror guy. At all. I don't watch many horror movies, as I'm such a squemish person, and in most cases have made effort to avoid most of them. Even when I was a kid, I would hate when commercials for horror movies came on TV; I would often leave the room.

That doesn't mean, however, that such images didn't stay with me. Here are several trailers for 80s horror movies that I remember when I was growing up.

Funhouse (directed by Tobe Hooper):



The Boogens. What a name!



I didn't know Albert Finney and Gregory Hines were in Wolfen!



The 80s remake of Invaders From Mars. This is a movie I did see, and it was actually quite awesome!



The Beast Within. Ronny Cox is always welcome in a film.



Ghoulies. I just DVR'ed this the other night. If I'm lucky, I may actually get the chance to watch it. The "Trivial Pursuit" girl is Mariska Hargitay from Law & Order: SVU!



Terrorvision. I saw this on broadcast TV one Saturday afternoon in the late 80s/early 90s. Being on free TV plus the comedy made this a more palatable horror film for me.



Scanners.



The legendary Basket Case. My family rented this one night and my very young self foolishly hung around for some of it. Big mistake!



The last film I have is one that blends humor and horror equally well, which isn't easy to do without being a spoof. The Stuff. Smart, witty, with just the right amount of chills. Well done! Starring SNL's Garrett Morris and two more Law & Order alums, Michael Moriarty and Paul Sorvino. Two trailers, no less!



3 comments:

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Oh good....whew! Now I feel so much better, as I not a horror gal either! It seems a shame to admit it being such a huge lover a most all things Halloween related, but alas, I am quite the scaredy cat...ha! Thanks for fessing up so that I don't have to feel so all alone! :o)

Phillyradiogeek said...

Wings: I've heard good things about FUNHOUSE, and would be willing to check it out if the chance arose. Yeah, TERRORVISION was bad, but in an almost intentional way.

Wendy: welcome to the scardey cat club :)

80s Horror said...

A great selection of 80s Horror trailers, the 80s still rock ! Love the blog thanks for helping keep the pop culture of the past alive.