Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Summer Movie Preview 2009

Just like last year, I'm presenting my own summer movie preview. It seems early since it's only April, but Hollywood starts its summer in May. I guess they want to take advantage of the warmer weather and are counting on viewers to get out and see movies. Here we go!

First up on Friday May 1st (see? early) is X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Hugh Jackman reprises the role for a fourth time. Get your claws out for this one!





The following week on Friday May 8th is the long-awaited reboot of the Star Trek franchise, with Lost co-creator J.J. Abrams at the helm. I expect this to be a huge success.





The very next week on Friday May 15th is the opening of Angels and Demons, starring Tom Hanks reprising his role from The Da Vinci Code. This story takes place before the events in Code but deals with many of the same issues and institutions.





Friday May 22nd brings us Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian starring Ben Stiller. I really enjoyed the first one, so I'm looking forward to this.





Also on May 22nd comes Terminator: Salvation, starring the hot-tempered Christian Bale. With the current TV series on the verge of cancellation, the future of the franchise depends on good box office for this film.





On May 29th, Pixar presents its latest offering, Up.




On June 5th, Will Ferrel appears in a comedic take on the famous Saturday Morning TV series Land of the Lost. I like Will Ferrel a lot, but this one I'm not so sure about.





June 26th brings another sequel, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Parts of the film were made right here in Philadelphia.





On August 2nd, another movie based on a Hasbro toy line opens, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.





Finally, this movie won't be released until October 16, so it's clearly not a summer movie, but it looks too interesting not to mention here. Maurice Sendak's classic children's book Where the Wild Things Are graces the silver screen.





I'm sure there are plenty of interesting films I've missed, but these are at least some of the more high profile ones. If there are any others you think I should mention, give me a shout in the comments section. And I'll see you--at the movies!

No comments: