Tuesday, October 12, 2010

On The Road With Charles Kuralt: Venetucci Farm, Colorado Springs, CO

Sorry for my lack of posting yesterday, but I have a good excuse. I took the day off (both from the blog and work) to spend the day with my family at our local pumpkin patch, where the kids and I picked our Halloween pumpkins, walked through the corn maze, and enjoyed the sunshine and unseasonably warm day. We had a great time!

This is a long-standing tradition for so many Americans this time of year, of course. No one documented such poignant moments so well as the late news journalist Charles Kuralt. I've been a huge fan of Kuralt's for many years, and I bring you today a sample of his great work. Here he tells us of the Venetucci Farm, located in Colorado Springs, CO, where the Venetucci brothers provide a huge pumpkin patch for the area's children completely free of charge.  This story documents the wonder and amazement of children as they look for that perfect pumpkin, just like my kids did yesterday.  If you have any heart at all, you are sure to be touched and reminded of why we love this holiday so much.



Happy Halloween indeed!

1 comment:

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Aw...I really enjoyed that, thanks! I laughed at the 'Pumpkin Envy'! Ha! And he's right, many of those of kids will remember that until they are old themselves. Well I think it's great that you took the day off to revel in the bounty of the season and I hope you and your family had a wonderful day!