Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Tuesday's Overlooked TV: Out of This World


It's been far too long since I've featured a Tuesday's Overlooked selection. It's time to rectify that with this week's feature, the syndicated family sitcom Out of This World.

The series revolved around Evie Garland--a young teen girl who is half human, half alien. The girl is raised by her human mother in a posh community and believes her father is a secret agent. When she develops super powers on her 13th birthday, her mother is forced to reveal the truth to Evie. Evie is able to communicate with her alien father via a special communicator. The series' comedy is usually the result of Evie misusing her powers, leading to wacky family sitcom-style crazy situations.

Despite everything you just read, the craziest detail might be that the voice of the alien dad was played by Burt Reynolds.

While the show certainly didn't win any Peabody awards, it was a light, fun series perfect for families to enjoy at 5pm on a Saturday afternoon. The series aired in first-run syndication from September 1987 to May 1991.

Here for your entertainment is the series' first episode. Enjoy!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My siblings and I would watch this show, everyday one forgotten summer while staying with our dad. On a station that played reruns. We had their daily show line up to keep us company. We were lazy kids. It was 1991 or 92. I was 13, my sibs 11 and 8. We didn't even go swimming at the community centre right behind our complex. Evie Ethal Garland, followed by perfect Strangers and Lambchop's Playalong, Designing women and probably The Golden Girls. I know I'm forgetting others. I'd ask my sibs but it would probably dredge up old un-useful feelings. Who needs to go there.
Fangs for the memories.

Caffeinated Joe said...

Watched it, too. Remember it being paired with My Secret Identity. Simpler times. For me, at least.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thanks Anon! Love your story!

Joe: I think I'll profile Identity as well. Keep an eye out in the coming weeks.