Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Peter Pan Records, "Jaws of the Shark"


As difficult as it might be for some to comprehend, summer is in its final throes. In two more weeks, most kiddies will begin the new school year--some others have already started!--and most summer vacations will have been taken and everyone will get back to their usual routine. I'd like to take this opportunity to get at least one more summer-themed post under my belt before the season ends. And nothing says summer to me like sharks!

Today I offer something I'm shocked I never heard of until this week--a release from the beloved children's record company Peter Pan Records. Instead of novel kiddie songs, this release is entitled Jaws of the Shark, featuring three scary tales (but not too scary, this is a kids record after all) of sharks. Clearly this was a cash grab on Peter Pan's part after Jaws was released. I'm surprised Peter Pan didn't release it under their Power Records' label, which they used for many kids adventure and superhero stories.

Enjoy! Have a great rest of the summer! And patronize my advertisers!






5 comments:

Todd Mason said...

I am also a bit surprised they put it on their Peter Pan label, if they had one less devoted to children's music in Power...perhaps the Peter Pan distribution contract was a better one, or they simply thought it would do land-office business and wanted that to be associated with their primary label.

A bit late for me to have added to my disc library of PP releases such as KIDDIE HOOTENANNY! and PETER AND THE WOLF (which does, after all, involve a notable predator)...my key Pan years would've run to 1968-9...

Todd Mason said...

The YT poster seems to think it was on Power, perhaps initially...and perhaps Power was folded, and it was reissued on PP?

Caffeinated Joe said...

Saved to listen to later. I swear, I had this or at least listened to it as a kid.

As for summer, it has been fun, but also bittersweet. Lost our dog at the beginning of the season, and it has been a tough road. So integral to everything I do around here, his presence is greatly missed.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Todd: I'm sure I'm nitpicking PP since they and Power were the same company, just a different logo on the label depending on the material. I still have 45s from Power with Superman and Batman stories (which can also be found on YouTube).

Joe: sorry for your loss. Recently went through the same thing, but just this weekend we have a new family member. Here's to moving upward and onward for all of us!

Todd Mason said...

Discogs noted they released it under both labels.

Sorry to read it, CJ.