Sunday, May 11, 2008

In Defense of Ewoks

Hello everyone! I'm sorry it took a week for me to post again, but things have been busy in the geek household this week. First off, a Happy Mother's Day to all the moms, moms-t0-be, grandmoms, nanas, mother figures, and of course, my wonderful Mom, Mom-in-law, and beautiful wife and mother of my children.

This leads right into my discussion of Ewoks (naturally).

This year is the 25th anniversary of the release of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Episode 6 if you're counting). This installment of the saga introduced the little furry characters known as Ewoks. Many hardcore Star Wars fans were turned off by the inclusion of the Ewoks, regarding them as silly and nothing more than characters for young children to enjoy. Personally, I've never understood the derision. Yes, they were for the kids, but the films have always been intended for a family audience.

Andrew Zilch is also mystified by the Ewok-haters. Zilch is an independent film producer and director and part of an Internet comedy troupe called Runaway Box. One of his contributions to the troupe is this lovely hymn defending the honor of the Ewoks. This is awesome, and it features a surprise appearance by a legendary Star Wars figure.



Andrew can also bee seen in one of my Valentine's Day posts; he appears as the character Marty in one of the love ballads there (Feb. 11th post).

For any other Ewoks fans out there, here is an entire episode from the mid-80s animated series that appeared on ABC:







Finally, here is the classic Ewoks celebration song from the original version of Return of the Jedi--sung barbershop quartet style. Makes sense.



Thanks as always!

4 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

Yeah I know a few people will love these! Too cute.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Yub Yub!

Todd Mason said...

I've mostly avoided ewoks thus far, having never seen the third (or, if one prefers, sixth) film at all nor the subsidiary things...but I suspect Jar Jar makes them seem rather palatable in comparison. I've also heard them compared to those noble creations of the late Poul Anderson and Gordon Dickson, the Hoka...whose stories one should definitely check out.

Phillyradiogeek said...

I've never had a problem with Jar Jar either, but it was a wise decision to give him a low profile in Episodes 2 and 3, not only due to the backlash, but for their darker storylines compared to Episode 1.

The Hoka? I'll have to Google them.