Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tuesday's Forgotten TV: The Pogo Special Birthday Special


Hello everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic Halloween last night, as well as a great time enjoying the Countdown to Halloween.  It's one of my favorite times to blog all year, and this year was no exception. I can't wait until next year so we can do it all over again.

However, as Charlie Brown would say, "Another Halloween has come and gone," and it's time to move on. And I move on by posting this week's Tuesday's Forgotten, and this week, it's the 1969 animated TV special The Pogo Special Birthday Special.

The special is, of course, based on the legendary comic strip set in the Okee Fenokee Swamp with Pogo the Possum and friends.  As much as I love comic strips, I confess I've never read Pogo (except for a bit of the brief revamp in the late 80s/early 90s), so this world is a new one for me. Creator Walt Kelly (who lends his voice to some of the characters in the special) was unhappy with the quality of this special, but it's an interesting project nonetheless. Enjoy!



4 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Brian, you Need to read some POGO. I have V. 1 of the Fantagraphics COMPLEAT on preorder.

Todd Mason said...

Interesting choice for Porky's voice; terrible one for Pogo's.

Phillyradiogeek said...

I definitely should. I also want to check out the Bloom County collections. And Doonesbury. And Dick Tracy. God, too many to mention.

I don't know who voiced Porky (it might be Kelly or Chuck Jones) but Pogo is voiced by the legendary June Foray, who I admit does make for an odd Pogo. That's not what I would expect him to sound like.

Todd Mason said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c9TVifewRg