Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tuesday's Forgotten Film: Sweet Liberty


Continuing my (sort of ) patriotic theme this week, Tuesday's Forgotten Film this week is the 1986 comedy Sweet Liberty.

Writer/director Alan Alda stars as Michael Burgess, a history professor who has written an acclaimed book on the American Revolution. When a slick Hollywood producer comes to his town to make a movie version of the book, Burgess's life is turned upside down. His serious book is turned into a sleazy tale of sex and violence--because Hollywood always likes that stuff. Burgess's personal life is also impacted, as he and his girlfriend become attracted to the lead actress and actor in the film. 

The film often tries way too hard to be wacky to the point of falling flat, but Alda is affable enough to hold the viewer's interest. Don't expect the satire to be terribly harsh, but for a lazy afternoon or evening's viewing,    you can do worse than Sweet Liberty. The film also stars Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins, and Michelle Pfieffer. If you look closely in the trailer below, you will also see John C. McGinley from Scrubs as well.



Have a capital Fourth!

3 comments:

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Thanks for the reminder of Alda's work as a writer-director. Not up to the level of FOUR SEASONS and A NEW LIFE perhaps but I have fairly fond memories of it still. I think I saw this around the time it came out at the cinemas (or whenever it came out in the UK - ironic, I know ...)

Ron Scheer said...

Makes me think of another patriotic theme movie, RALLY ROUND THE FLAG, BOYS.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Sergio: I didn't see A NEW LIFE, but I do remember Alda looking so different with curly hair and a beard :)

Ron: I haven't seen that movie, but I won't be surprised to come across it on cable today if I look hard enough. Thanks!