Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tuesday's Overlooked: The 2013-2014 Television Season


The 2013-2014 TV season is just about wrapped up, and I enjoyed what I watched this year quite a bit. For Tuesday's Overlooked, I'll give a quick rundown of what I liked this year.

For a man about to turn 40 this year, I watch a lot of cartoons. I am in no way ashamed of this, especially when the shows are some of the most well-crafted and entertaining programs on television, animated or live action. Two cases in point: Adventure Time and Regular Show, both on Cartoon Network. Both series offer the biggest laughs around. With Adventure Time, you also get a whole universe of creatures and a surprisingly tragic backstory. Regular Show, on the other hand, is all about fun. It may be lowbrow, but it's highbrow lowbrow. Yes, I'm making that a thing.


Also on Cartoon Network, two new series have also caught my eye. Steven Universe, created by a storyboard artist and writer of Adventure Time, offers similarly wonderous characters in a quaint seaside town and has similar whimsy and charm to Adventure Time. Clarence is a new series that debuted just a month ago, but has the potential to be a regular viewing staple in my household. Finally on Cartoon Network is DC Entertainment's Teen Titans GO!, which has the ability to make me laugh out loud to the point of looking ridiculous. It's the best product coming out of DC right now, be it comic book, TV series, or movie.

Marvel is certainly no slouch in the TV entertainment department. It's three Sunday morning offerings, Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble, and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., bring thrills and laughs to me and my children, and are a great way to introduce kids to these characters. As for live action, I am a big fan of the unfairly maligned Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I could write an entire post about my thoughts on the series--and time permitting, I just might--but for now, suffice it to say that this series is exactly what I expected and has left me thoroughly entertained. And what a great way to tie into Captain America: The Winter Soldier!



A pleasant surprise was the Fox series Sleepy Hollow. It's over the top to be sure, but it embraces its preposterousness with glee, and I can't help but respect that. Great performances from its cast help sell the silliness. Another show worth mentioning is the randy sitcom Mike & Molly, the only series my wife and I enjoy equally, although we both enjoy the police drama Blue Bloods to varying degrees (she more so than I this past season). Finally, I can't neglect two Sunday night powerhouses, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

Yes, the 2013-2014 television season was a very satisfying one for me. What about you? Please let me know in the comments section. Thanks!

No comments: