Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Deck the Halls with Wacky Walls

 



Today's feature is an oddball, but that's what makes blogging fun. Today I present the infamous animated TV special Deck The Halls With Wacky Walls!

The characters in this special are loosely based on the popular 80s toys Wacky Wallwalkers, the sticky octopus-like toys that would slowly creep down a wall or other upright surface when a child throws it at the surface. In this special, the Wallwalkers are given names and personalities, as aliens from another planet sent to Earth to discover the meaning of a special star seen in the sky. The star in question turns out to be the Christmas star, leading the Wallwalkers to learn all about Christmas.

The special aired on NBC on December 13, 1983, and was one of the lowest-rated TV programs that week. I know I almost certainly didn't see it, as I have no recollection of this special whatsover and didn't know about it until the past few years. I won't lie; it's not the greatest program in the world, but it's fun to see once as a curiosity, and it's harmless enough. It also has a good pedigree, as it's written by legendary comic book and animation writer Mark Evanier, and features the voice talents of Daws Butler, Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, and Scott Menville among others.

I'll let you judge for yourself. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Bob Johns said...

Wait what?? How did I not know about this!? I will be checking this one out tonight.

Phillyradiogeek said...

I only know about it because I heard about it from other blogs. It's certainly no classic, but it's worth a watch if only once. It has a great voice cast if nothing else!