Wednesday, August 25, 2021

McDonald's Camp Snoopy Glasses from 1983



Hello! Summer 2021 is in its final throes. Let me make a summer-themed contribution before we go back to school in a couple weeks!

Way back in 1983, McDonald's--the unofficial official restaurant of this blog--released a line of collectible drinking glasses based on the Peanuts characters--Peanuts being the unofficial official comic strip of this blog. More so, the glasses tied in with the then-recent launch of Camp Snoopy, the theme park within a park at Knott's Berry Farm in California. There were five glasses in all, one available per week: Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy, Snoopy, and Woodstock.

Being both a huge fan of Peanuts and McDonald's, I was thrilled to get these glasses every week. I was also disappointed when every glass we owned broke, usually in the dishwasher. However, my wife managed to find two of the five glasses on Facebook Marketplace recently, the Linus and Snoopy glasses, for the bargain price of $5 for the two of them!

Aren't they beautiful?



Here are a few of the TV commercials promoting the glasses. Enjoy! Have a great rest of the summer!


4 comments:

top_cat_james said...

My grandmother had three of these in her cabinet, along with quite a few cartoon-adorned jelly jars going back to the Seventies. Wish I knew what happened to them.

If you watch the 1984 film Moscow on the Hudson you will see a huge banner and display of this campaign behind the Robin Williams character when he's employed at a McDonald's.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thanks Tom! I've seen jelly jars like the ones you mention. It would be a great find if you came across those!

Thank you for mentioning the glasses' appearance in Moscow On The Hudson. I've always wanted to see that movie (I love Robin Williams), and now I have even more reason to see it!

Tom said...

I gathered a set of these from garage sales and estate sales over the years. I never realized they were a tie-in with Camp Snoopy, but makes sense. Those dishwashers are hell on those character glasses. If it isn't breakage, it fades the picture. See also granite counter tops.
I've gone through lots of character glasses over the years. I had to set aside the ones I didn't want to lose or couldn't easily replace.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thanks Tom! That's why I, sadly, rarely use these glasses for drinking, which I no defeats the purpose. At least they look cool in my display!