Monday, June 6, 2022

Happy 30th Anniversary Batman Returns!

 


"You don't really think you'll win, do you?"

You ALWAYS win at my blog! *ahem*

Welcome one and all to an event I'm excited to present to you. Starting today, and for the next two weeks, I will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the release of Batman Returns! The movie seems to be a favorite among my social media friends, so I think it's appropriate to spend extra time on the film.

The pop culture success of the first Batman film in 1989 can't be understated, but fans had to wait three long years for this hotly anticipated sequel. As big as the first movie was, the filmmakers went even bigger with this one, with new production design and not one but three villains in Catwoman and The Penquin, as well as murderous millionaire Max Shreck, an original character created for the film.

Batman Returns was darker (literally and figuratively), more explosive, and had, well--thousands of penguins with rockets attached to them. 'Nuff said.

My relationship with the movie is a bit complicated--there are things I like about it and things I wish had been done differently--but I can't deny it had a strong impact on my superhero-movie-loving self. I had just graduated high school two weeks before the release of the movie, and my friends saw it together as a sort of post-graduation celebration, and I have fond memories of seeing it with them. I'd love to hear your memories of this film in the comments.

Expect fun stuff the next two Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, leading up to the exact anniversary date of Sunday, June 19th (which this year is Fathers Day, coincidentally enough).

Below are the two trailers Warner Bros. made for the movie. Enjoy!

And remember--mistletoe is deadly if you eat it; a kiss is even deadlier if you mean it.

No comments: