Monday, January 9, 2023

The Dot and the Line cartoon (1965)



Happy New Year! I hope you all had a fantastic holiday season!

Now we get back to normal here--if nomal is even a thing here--as I present the 1965 cartoon The Dot and the Line.

This cartoon, directed by legendary Looney Tunes director Chuck Jones, is based on the 1963 book written and illustrated by Norton Juster. In the story, a dot leaves its partner, a straight line, for the company of a squiggle, leaving the line in a lurch, but the dot and the line learn a valuable lesson about relationships.

It's cuter and more intelligent than it sounds.

The cartoon was an Academy Award winner, and it deserved it. It's a very smart, sweet cartoon.

Enjoy!


4 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

I feel like I've seen this a dozen times, at least! My school had a reel of it, and a teacher would play it at least once a year. Still, cute.

Phillyradiogeek said...

It probably shows up on TCM between movies these days. Indeed, a cute cartoon, and more sophisticated than usual from the old movie studios!

Todd Mason said...

On rare occasion, the animation studios would be given their head, as with some Poe-based cartoons in short form in the '50s. I haven't thought about this one for some years...thanks for the reminder.

Did we ever discuss the PBS series THE INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF ANIMATION? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179025/reviews?ref_=tt_urv (though it ran for at least two seasons, which IMDb and PBS (the latter when it comes to institutional memory...remind you of any Other Organization) both are too pathetic to actually confirm.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Todd: I don't think so, it doesn't sound familiar. Sounds like something I would have devoured had I come across it on TV.