Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Old Promos for Classic Christmas TV Specials

It's no secret that one of the rituals of celebrating Christmas in America is enjoying the classic Christmas television specials that have aired for decades, such as Rudolph, Frosty, the Grinch, and my personal favorite, A Charlie Brown Christmas.

In the spirit of my Christmas TV commercial post I made the other day, here are promotional spots for these specials from years past. I'm sure when I was a young boy that I saw these promos air just as they did in these clips. I was going to be really industrious and put them in chronological order, but it's getting late and I'm feeling tired :)   Please enjoy them just the way they are.

They are a bit repetitive, showcasing some of the same specials, but it's interesting to see how they were paired with each other differently year after year. For my money, Charlie Brown was best paired with the Grinch, while Frosty was better paired with 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, but however they aired, they were required viewing, especially in the days before VCRs and DVDs were widespread. If you missed them, you missed out for a whole year. Oh the humanity! Enjoy!




Oh, one more thing...

2 comments:

Wings1295 said...

All so very awesome, and I am sure I was sitting in front of the TV when many of them aired.

The last one, that begins with the announcer saying "We will return to Christmas Comes to Willow Creek", actually got me a little emotional. I remember laying on our couch, Christmas tree lit, watching that movie when it first aired. I have wanted to see it again, ever since, but as yet have had no luck.

Thanks for a great post.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thanks for sharing that great memory. I'll keep a lookout for that movie and maybe post it here!