Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Stan Lee, 1922-2018


I suspected for a while this was coming, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt when it happens.

I loved Stan Lee. Loved the man. I loved his bravado, his charisma, his corny sense of humor--his corny sense of everything--and most of all, I loved his co-creations. He will remain in my heart forever just for co-creating Spider-Man alone. Throw in the Hulk, Thor, X-Men, Black Panther, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, the Fantastic Four, Iron Man--it's ridiculous the amount of story that came from his pen.

He most certainly didn't do all this alone, as Stan naysayers will be quick to admit. The artists wrote the stories as much as Stan did, but that in no way belittles Stan's creativity and accomplishments. Stan's personality is all over those characters, and that should never be forgotten. And no one--no one--was a bigger cheerleader for the comic book industry than Stan "The Man." No one comes close. He made you feel welcome to this wacky, wonderful world of comics--everyone was invited. Even people who never held a comic knew exactly who Stan Lee was; Stan made sure of that.

On my Mount Rushmore of creative people who have affected my life so strongly, there are Walt Disney, Jim Henson, Charles Schulz--and Stan Lee.

The world is better for his being in it.

Rest in peace, Stan.

Excelsior!




2 comments:

Bensdad00 said...

That's an extremely visual Mt. Rushmore - no authors and no musicians

Phillyradiogeek said...

Bob: yeah, Mt Rushmore only has four spots. I need more Rushmores.