Monday, June 8, 2020

The Dick Tracy Show Animated Series



Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing as well as you can under these extremely brutal circumstances. Please know that I care about all of you and wish you peace, healing, and love during these times.

Monday, June 15th is the 30th anniversary of the release of one of my favorite movies, Dick Tracy, starring Warren Beatty, Madonna, and a list of celebrities. I worked at a movie theater when Dick Tracy was released, which allowed me easy access to it. Being high on the Batman movie the year before, I was looking to put the same amount of energy and enthusiasm into enjoying Tracy, and I wasn't disappointed in the least. In fact, I'd say it's superior to Batman.

In celebration of the film, I'm declaring this week "Dick Tracy Week," showcasing a different aspect of the character's life in media Monday through Friday. Today I bring you a couple of features from The Dick Tracy Show, an animated series from the 1960s.

This series featured Tracy not apprehending criminals himself, but delegating the task to various comical underlings. Each detective would seek to arrest a pair of classic Tracy villains. Unfortunately, a couple of these detectives were racist caricatures, such as the character Joe Jitsu in the example below. Still, these cartoons are an undeniable part of Dick Tracy's history and shouldn't be overlooked.

These cartoons were re-syndicated when the movie was released. Take a look! Stay tuned all week for more Dick Tracy material!


No comments: