Friday, December 16, 2022

Max Headroom Christmas Special (1986)

 



Wait-wait-wait-wait WHAT? Max Headroom had a Christmas special?

Yep! And I'm as surprised as you are!

I knew Max Headroom had released a Christmas music single, "Merry Christmas, Santa Claus," back in the day, because I saw it on the shelf at Tower Records in Philadelphia in 1986 and contemplated buying it (I didn't). What I didn't know was that the song was part of a full Christmas TV special.

The Max Headroom Christmas Special debuted in the US on Cinemax on December 18, 1986; it was later shown in the UK on December 26 of that year under the name Max Headroom's Giant Christmas Turkey. The show features Max, played by Canadian comedian and actor Matt Frewer, being Max--singing, talking to friends and celebrities, including Robin Williams and Tina Turner, and being his usual zany, stuttering self. Rocker Dave Edmunds also appears.

Oddball specials such as this are one of the things that keep me blogging all these years. I love finding this strange, forgotten stuff and sharing it with others, especially when it's something I didn't know existed before.

Enjoy! You can also watch the special directly on YouTube here.

This is the last weekend before Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so make it a jolly one! And starting this Sunday night--Happy Hannukah!

No comments: