Friday, December 23, 2022

The Man in the Santa Claus Suit (1979)


 

Here we are--two days to Christmas! And what a season it's been!

Today I feature my final offering before the big day--the 1979 TV-movie The Man in the Santa Claus Suit. In this film, three men--an uptight political operative (Bert Convy), a homeless man (John Byner), and a lonely schoolteacher (Gary Burghoff)--rent Santa Claus suits from an elderly tailor (Fred Astaire, in his final film), each desperate to fulfill a need by renting the suit. Each man goes through a personal journey by wearing the suit. And that tailer seems to show up in different guises throughout the film. Is there something--different about him? Watch and find out!

The movie debuted on NBC in 1979, and was a staple of syndicated Christmas programming through most of the '80s. I've never seen the whole thing, but it's always looked interesting, and I'm happy to present it to you now.

Well, that's the last article before Christmas! I have LOVED doing this Countdown to Christmas--and it's not over yet! I plan on sharing a couple of New Year's Day related items next week, so please stay tuned. And remember that the holiday season doesn't end on December 26th. New Year's Eve and New Year's Day are also part of the holidays--celebrate them!

Enjoy the film, below and directly on YouTube here. And if I don't see you during the rest of the season, Happy Holidays! Happy Hanukkah! Merry Christmas!


2 comments:

Jamie Ghione said...

I just watched this. Thanks for sharing.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Thanks Jamie! Merry Christmas!