Friday, October 6, 2023

Midnight Offerings TV-Movie (1981)

 



I'm back to round out the first week of the Countdown to Halloween 2023. And as I try to do on Fridays during the Countdown, I'm featuring a long-form program for you to enjoy over the weekend. This week, it's the 1981 TV-movie Midnight Offerings!

According to IMDb, "Vivian has magic powers. She doesn't hesitate to save her boyfriend David from failing in school by murdering teachers. However, David has gotten tired of her and is putting his charm on a new girl in school, Robin. Robin discovers that she also has magic powers, and it comes to a mental showdown between the two women over David."

It kind of sounds like Mean Girls but with witchcraft.

Oh, and supporting cast members include Marion Ross (Happy Days), Gordon Jump (WKRP In Cincinatti), and a very young Vanna White!

To be honest, I haven't seen this yet myself, but I'm fascinated by made-for-TV horror films, particularly since broadcast standards in the hayday of TV-movies were pretty stringent compared to today, and horror can be a challenging genre to make work with strict content guidelines. I'm always curious to see how the creators tell their horror stories under those conditions. Let's find out how the creators of this movie tell theirs!

I want to thank Joe Mello, one of my oldest social media buddys and the author of fellow Countdown blog Hellowe'en Horror, for bringing this movie to my attention!

I've embedded the movie into the blog below, but if you prefer to watch the movie directly on YouTube. the link is here.

Enjoy! Have a great first full weekend of October! Do spooky stuff! Drink pumpkin beer! Hang up decorations! Read old Halloween articles of my blog!

3 comments:

Tom said...

I watched this back in the day, but it needs a rewatch, so thanks for reminding.
You left out the best part as the it's the battle of the wholesome TV daughters: Mary Ingalls vs Erin Walton! BRING IT!

Phillyradiogeek said...

Tom: I didn't even realize that! Thanks for pointing this out!

Caffeinated Joe said...

Watched earlier this year, good 70s vibes & Mrs. Cunningham!