Monday, October 26, 2020

It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown Soundtrack

 


It's the last week of the Countdown to Halloween! Make it a great one!

There was some majorly disappointing news announced last Monday--previously aired Peanuts specials will now air exclusively on the streaming service Apple TV+ and will no longer air on broadcast television. This includes It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, and A Charlie Brown Christmas. I plan to write a full article about this situation after the Countdown, but suffice it to say, I am not happy with this development.

Every year, I always include one article related to Peanuts and Halloween during the Countdown. To help fill the void left by the absence of Great Pumpkin from broadcast television this year, I will be doing two Peanuts-related articles this year. Me, you, and two other people will be the only ones that notice, but I need to do my part!

Today I offer the Great Pumpkin soundtrack. Although this is an official release, the quality is not great, as the soundtrack contains some sound effects from the special, which is unusual for a TV soundtrack. Still, it's lovely music. Please especially enjoy "The Great Pumpkin Waltz," which is one of the most warm and soothing pieces of music I've ever heard. Perfect for fall, perfect for anytime.

Enjoy!



Unless you're an Apple TV+ subscriber, you might want to get yourself a copy of the special as well as the soundtrack.



6 comments:

Bob Johns said...

We did tune into Apple Tv to watch and I will say it looks great! But the tradition of watching it with other fans on TV sucks the magic away.

Phillyradiogeek said...

I don't mind Apple TV+ having it I just wish it could be on free TV too.

Tom said...

I bought this soundtrack on orange vinyl last year. I think they just took the background soundtrack directly from the special which is why the sound effects appear on there. "The Great Pumpkin Waltz" is possibly my favorite Halloween tune of all time and it sets me in the Halloween spirit whenever I hear it.
I'm disappointed in the Apple decision as well. I do have all the specials on DVD, so it doesn't impact me too much, but there was just something about watching it on broadcast TV and reliving your childhood, even if they didn't have Dolly Madison Zingers commercials anymore.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Indeed Tom!

Caffeinated Joe said...

We watched it via the DVD copy of the three classic Peanuts holiday specials we bought for our son a few Christmases ago. Some scoff at the life-span left for DVDs or physical media, but I would rather have it always ready to watch then wonder where it will stream from year to year.

Phillyradiogeek said...

Joe: exactly! I love streaming, don't get me wrong, but physical media allows you to enjoy what you want without the restrictions of what service has the rights to what programs. This is especially relevant given Amazon's statement that "owning" video from Prime Video only allows you a license to a program as long as Amazon has the rights to it. If Amazon loses the rights, you're screwed!